Today’s article in the LA Times marvels at the wonder of the ‘Vagina Steam Bath’ as a new treatment available to women whose wallets (and worldviews) allow them access to fancy spas in ritzy parts of the U.S. Over here in reality, though, you can achieve all the benefits of a V-Steam right in your own home for just a buck or two, thanks to centuries of traditional Eastern medicine.
Here’s a free recipe for an herbal steam bath for your vajayjay (yes I said it, and yes I love that word), courtesy of Donna Caire at Regeneration Springs Massage Studio in Abita Springs, Louisiana:
Vaginal steam baths, or “Bajos” (ba-hoes) as they are known in Spanish, are used to assist in the cleansing of the uterus in conjunction with the Maya Massage for the treatment of numerous female symptoms. They are effective for men as well.
Most commonly used are marigold, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Other herbs can be used, such as motherwort, St. John’s wort, chamomile, damiana, red clover, dandelion, yellow dock, squaw vine, horsetail, Mexican wormseed (epazote).
Collect your plants using prayer and intention of healing. If using fresh plants, collect about 1 quart; if using dry, use about a cup.
- Place the plants in a large pot of hot water.
- Crush the herbs into the water, thanking them for helping with your healing.
- Offer prayers nine times to whatever Spirit offers you guidance. It is the Prayer and the Intention that is important.
- Bring this to a soft boil for 10 minutes, steep for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Place the pot under a slatted chair, lawn chair, in the toilet, etc. Test for hotness before completely sitting down without underwear on, with your knees slightly higher than hips. Be careful not to burn yourself. The heat should feel pleasant. If it is too hot, stand or remove the pot from under you for a few minutes.
- Wear socks to keep your feet warm, drape fully with a blanket around your neck to the floor, being careful not to allow any draft underneath you.
- Sit quietly over your pot of herbal steam for 20 minutes, meditate, read, enjoy and pleasure in the herbal healing. Rest quietly for at least 20 minutes after the herbal steam bath in a warm room free of drafts from open windows, fans or air conditioners.
- Give used steam bath back to the earth in your compost, garden or yard space.
Women can expect changes in vaginal discharges and menstruation; men can expect discharges from their penis. These are normal cleansing reactions. If you have any unusual discharge or response to this treatment, inform your practitioner. Do not do while menstruating. Do as tonic 1 to 4 times a year.